W5YI :
April 20, 2018
Resources for Amateur and Commercial Radio
Toll Free Orders: 1-800-699-9549
  View Cart    
Product Catalog
Amateur Radio
Commercial Radio
Electronics / Reference
Morse Code
Extra Class Audio CD
FCC Links
Amateur Radio News
FCC Enforcement Actions
Amateur Radio
About Licensing
Technician Class
About Call Signs
General Class
Ham Radio Class Locations
Amateur Exam Locations
License Renewals
Club Station Licenses
Vanity Call Signs
1 x 1 Call Signs
FCC Part 97 Rules
Commercial Radio
Study Materials
Contact Us

About Call Signs : Operation in U.S. by foreign licensed radio amateurs

In addition, foreign amateurs whose administrations recognize our Amateur service licensing structure and have entered into a treaty arrangement with the U.S. State Department are authorized to operate their amateur transmitters in areas regulated by the Federal Communications Commission. These amateurs are now licensed by rule and are no longer required to file FCC Form 610-A or receive an additional "reciprocal permit" from the U.S. See Sec. 97.5(c) and 97.107

They identify their stations with the U.S. call area followed by the words "fixed, portable, mobile or "slant" (or the slant bar on CW) and the station call issued by their home country. (For example: W1/XE1AAA) See Sec. 97.119

Under a May 1952 treaty arrangement, Amateurs licensed in Canada are considered to also be licensed in the United States and use their Canadian call signs on the air. They signify their U.S. location by using the words "fixed, portable, mobile or slant" when operating in the voice mode (or the slant bar on CW) followed by the U.S. call area. (For example: VE1AAA/W1). The various call sign areas are listed underneath the call sign prefix information.

In addition, foreign radioamateurs holding a CEPT license (issued by a country belonging to the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations)or an IARP (International Amateur Radio Permit)are licensed by rule and also may operate their amateur radio equipment in the U.S. See Sec.97.5(d) and 97.5(e)

Class 1 CEPT and IARP licensees have all (that is, those of an Amateur Extra Class operator) U.S. frequency privileges. See Sec. 97.301(b). Class 2 CEPT and IARP license holders are restricted to operating on frequencies above 30 MHz. See Sec. 97.301(a)
The FCC has an online information bulletin entitled Amateur International Arrangements and Amateur Service Reciprocal Operation.

Return to About Call Signs
  Toll Free: 1-800-669-9594 Contact Us
Designed and Driven by Riverstone Media ( http://www.riverstonemedia.com )
Legal Disclaimer Privacy Policy