W5YI :
April 23, 2018
Resources for Amateur and Commercial Radio
Toll Free Orders: 1-800-699-9549
  View Cart    
Product Catalog
Amateur Radio
Commercial Radio
Electronics / Reference
Morse Code
Extra Class Audio CD
FCC Links
Amateur Radio News
FCC Enforcement Actions
Amateur Radio
About Licensing
Technician Class
About Call Signs
General Class
Ham Radio Class Locations
Amateur Exam Locations
License Renewals
Club Station Licenses
Vanity Call Signs
1 x 1 Call Signs
FCC Part 97 Rules
Commercial Radio
Study Materials
Contact Us

Vanity Call Signs FAQ : How does our club apply for the call sign of a deceased club member?

The trustee of a club station may request "in memoriam" the call sign of a deceased member even when it has been less than two years following the club members death. The trustee must hold a call sign from a call sign Group equal to - or higher - than the deceased. That is, the trustee must be an Amateur Extra Class operator if the deceased held a Group A call sign. (It follows that the trustee must be an Amateur Extra or Advanced Class operator to request a Group B (2-by-2 format) call sign. The trustee must be an Amateur Extra, Advanced, General, Technician Plus, or Technician Class operator if the deceased club member held a Group C (1-by-3 format) call sign. A club trustee of any license class may request a Group D (2-by-3 format) call sign.

The call sign is immediately assignable after the death of a club member providing a written statement from a close relative of the deceased showing consent to the call sign assignment is in the club station records. The statement of consent must state the senders relationship to the deceased and confirm the deceased person's association with the club. Do not send the supporting documentation to FCC unless requested to do so. Keep it in your station records in the event you are asked to supply it to the FCC.

A close relative of the deceased is defined as the members spouse, child, grandchild, stepchild, parent, grandparent, stepparent, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or in-law.

If the deceased Amateurs call sign is still listed in the licensee database, it must be removed prior to Vanity call sign application. This is accomplished by submitting a signed letter requesting license cancellation accompanied by a copy of the death certificate or an obituary from a newspaper that shows the date of death.

Send to: FCC Amateur Section, 1270 Fairfield Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245 prior to filing the application for a vanity call sign. Be aware that someone could request and obtain this call sign before you do. Call signs cannot be held by the FCC for assignment to anyone.

Return to Vanity Call Signs FAQ
  Toll Free: 1-800-669-9594 Contact Us
Designed and Driven by Riverstone Media ( http://www.riverstonemedia.com )
Legal Disclaimer Privacy Policy